SAFE WALKING ROUTES
East Midvale Elementary Safe Walking Routes
For the safety and well-being of everyone, please be mindful of these safety tips. The safe route map (below) shows the suggested safe walking routes for East Midvale students who walk to school. Arrows depicting walking routes are shown. Please note the following:
- Students should use existing sidewalks whenever possible.
- On streets without sidewalks, students should walk on the left side of the street facing oncoming traffic.
- Our safe routes include one adult crossing guard located at 6990 South and 300 East. Generally, they are on duty one-half hour before and after school begins and again for one-half hour before and after school ends. This includes early-out days.
- Make your way to a green route on the map below and select the best walking route to school from your home. You may become familiar with the route by walking the route with your child. Your child should follow this route daily. Please instruct your child to observe crosswalks and signs.
- Children who ride bikes must ride on the right-hand side of the road and never in the middle! When possible, they should cross at intersections where there are adult crossing guards stationed, and they should always walk their bikes across the street. Please train them to be cautious on all streets and intersections where there is no adult supervision. All students are strongly encouraged to wear bike helmets when riding bikes.
- All students should remember to go straight home from school. Do not talk to, take candy or gifts, or get into the cars of strangers. Any strange behavior should be reported to school staff and/or parents.
- If you learn of any safety problems or route deficiencies, please report them to the school immediately at 801-826-8350. Thank you for your help with this important issue.
Suggested Walking Routes:
From the north: Follow 300 E. heading south toward East Midvale Elementary School 6990 S. 300 E.
From the northeast: Follow Acoma Rd. or Larchwood Dr. heading west to 345 E. Continue heading west on 345 E. to 300 E. then south on 300 E. to crossing guard at 6930 S.
From the east: Head west to 300 E. then south on 300 E. to 6930 S. and cross with the crossing guard.
From the southeast: Head west to 300 E. then north on 300 E. to 6930 s. and cross with the crossing guard.
From the southwest: Head east to 260 E. then north to school walkway at 7220 S. From the west: Head east to 160 E. then north or south to the school walkway at 6940 S.
From the northwest: Head east to 300 E. then south to East Midvale Elementary
Pick-up and Drop-off
The map below details the pick up and drop off procedures for the school.
- Please make sure to pick-up and drop-off students in the front of the school only using the designated drop off lane.
- Please pull to the front of the school by the flagpole before picking up or dropping off your student. This allows cars behind you to move forward to reduce congestion.
- Also please remember to use the crosswalk when walking to school or parking and picking up students. It is dangerous to walk across pick-up lanes.
- Students must be accompanied by an adult to use the crosswalk. Please walk to the building and accompany them if you are not using the pick-up lanes.