HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!! At East Midvale, we love our students and our families!
NO SCHOOL Monday Feb. 15 for Presidents Day.
PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES are February 24-25 from 4:00-8:00 pm. Teachers are scheduling now using Parent Square. Conferences will be either by phone or virtually through a Google Meet.
FREE INTERNET still available- Call the EME front office at 801-826-8350 if interested. We will provide instructions and a promo code for Comcast’s Internet Essentials.
TIME TO PLAN FOR KINDERGARTEN 2021-22:
- Do you have a child who will be 5 years old by Sept. 1, 2021?
- Contact the front office to register them for Kindergarten!
PRESCHOOL (either Morning or Afternoon) is an option if:
- Your child be 4 years old by Sept 1, 2021
- You live in the boundaries of East Midvale Elementary
- You can provide transportation
- Applications begin March 1 for Fall 2021 –https://www.canyonsdistrict.org/depts/early-childhood/title-i/
READ ACROSS AMERICA WEEK March 1-4, 2021 – Celebrate reading and all the characters you meet and places you go!
- Mon March 1 Wear yellow SOAR t-shirt
- Tues. March 2 – Mismatch Day!
- Wed. March 3 – Hat Day!
- Thurs March 4 – Pajama Day!
- Fri March 5 – PTA Pastries with Parents!
- 8:30-10:30 am.
- Drive through with your students.
- Donuts will be distributed.
CANYONS FAMILY CENTER classes! Classes for students on anger management and anxiety management and classes for parents on positive parenting, helping children through a divorce and ADHD. Visit this website to see classes, times and to sign up Canyons Family Center Classes
2nd Step Social Emotional Learning Tip of the Week
Kinder-1st and grades 4-5th
Continue to work with your children to hone self-management skills by managing their emotions. Remind students to 1) Stop 2) Name their feelings and 3) Calm Down.
Calm Down Strategy: Using positive self –talk. What we say to ourselves can change the way we feel. If we say positive or good things to ourselves, we are likely to feel better.
- “I can do it”
- “I can try again”
- “If I don’t understand, I can ask for help”
Reinforce this at home by noticing when your student calms down and asking what positive self talk they used to calm down.
Parent Script: “Jordana, I saw you looking frustrated as you wrote your numbers but then you calmed down. What did you say to yourself to calm down?”
Special 2nd step lesson for 2nd-3rd graders this week on how they have power
- to stand up to bullying
- to support others by showing acceptance
- to help others feel included.
You can implement this at home by noticing when students are inclusive of others.
Parent Script: “Tad, I noticed you invited Zaida to join your group when you saw she was left out. That was a kind and respectful thing to do.”